Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's a New Era!

We're in the 1st week of the new era for the WWIG blog-- the era of frequent posting which will make visiting this site worthwhile. How long will it last? Well, if history is any guide, we won't be making this measurement in centuries, or even decades. On the other hand it will probably be somewhat longer than, let's say, the duration of the shutter speed you would select when shooting an F1 auto racing event. Enough of that. So let's get started.

Here is an e-mail that I got from the Kelby Worldwide Photowalk 2010 organization yesterday:
You're getting this email because, well...we haven't decided if your walk is approved or not yet. Here's why...
There's already a Photo Walk happening in your area that isn't quite full yet. Since the Worldwide Photo Walk is a social event, it works best when a walk has a lot of people, so if that walk starts to fill up, we'll approve the next walk request on the list, and that could well be you (well, it's probably you, but ya never know).

When will that be? We don't know. It could be tomorrow. It could be in a couple of weeks. It may not happen at all, but either way, at least it's not a "no!".
But we wanted to let you know what was up so you wouldn't be wondering why you hadn't gotten a response.
Good Luck! We're rootin' for ya!
The Photo Walk Team
Monday I am going to try to contact the above captioned "Photo Walk Team" and/ or the designated La Crosse group leader (who has not, as far as I can tell, done the required website and who hasn't answered the message I sent) Ms. Carri Campanile. However, if all else fails I do plan on going ahead with the July 24th Photowalk with or without official sanction.

Remember, the cutoff date for submission of prints for the WWIG display at the La Crosse Public Library is August 1st! Don't know how or where to submit your prints? Please review prior postings or call me or John Zoerb.



Here is a great  photograph taken by Dr. Steve Shpall of Palo Alto CA, one of the members of the Jos. Von Os Photo Tour of the Oregon Coast I attended in  May. Steve is an all around good guy as well as an accomplished photographer and Photoshopper-- who, incidentally,  makes very interesting images using various Photoshop filters. I'm calling this photo Virtue Rewarded. For a variety of reasons-- prodigious rain mostly, but not entirely-- it was only on the last day of the tour that we had a reasonable opportunity to shoot a sunrise on the Pacific coast. It wasn't until the 4th day that the sky cleared enough to see the moon -- a glorious full moon in fact. I set my clock for 4am and did get up when it rang, but I crapped around in my room fiddling with my gear for way too long and arrived on the beach about 10 minutes after the 3 other participants who got up to shoot. While I was setting up Steve took this wonderful photo. By the time I got my first shot the clouds had moved enough to almost completely obscure the moon and the resulting image is very pedestrian. What's the lesson? I had planned to get my gear ready the evening before but because I was exhausted I decided to collapse into bed rather than prepare-- a bad choice.

Off to Iola WI for the annual car show. Perhaps I'll have some images to post here next week.
Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment