Thursday, August 26, 2010

Angkor Wat

Photos of Angkor Wat at sunrise like this one have been done about a half a gazillion times, but this image has something special. I did a search on Flickr for Angkor Wat and saw that there were over 460,000 images. My rough estimate is that about 20-25% were essentially the same as this one. I've been thinking about why this shot stands out and have formed some opinions. I'd be interested to know if any of you, dear readers, think that this image is special and have ideas about what separates  it from the  pack.

If you would like to see a collection of exceptional photos from the larger Angkor temple complex visit Stuck in Customs (see link in column on the left). I was at Angkor in 1988 when it was something of a big deal-- and actually forbidden to US citizens. Apparently now it has become something of a Khmer theme park, but still, I wish I could  return.
Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment