Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Images That I Find Compelling

During the week or so before our meeting on November 2nd I repeatedly encountered images that I found very compelling and decided to save them to show at the meeting. Those of you who attended know how intense it was to hear Julio Bird's presentation and by the time we had done that and the Topic of the Month photos, I felt that it was time to end the meeting. Showing another series of images would have been anticlimactic. Because it is going to be a rather long time until the next meeting I've decided to post these images and any others I encounter here on the blog. Any comments you have about my selections will be welcomed and you are all invited to post any images that you feel would be of interest to the group.

Jamie Heiden post a truly exceptional image on Flickr yesterday. It can't be copied and posted here but you can easily access it by clicking here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamieheiden/

Susann and I attended the opening of Roger Grant's gallery showing at the Pump House last Friday evening. Many members of our group were there. It will continue to be hung until the end of the month and is a show that you shouldn't miss. The metal prints from Bay Photo are spectacular. Much of this exhibit will be new to our members.



Finally, today's image  was found via an article published recently in the Wall Street Journal: Seeing Double: A Photography Power Couple. The  photographer is Hendrik Kersten"Hendrik Kerstens is an autodidact who decided in 1995 to dedicate himself entirely to photography.He is well-known for his documentation of the important moments in his daughter Paula’s life, which earned him a Taylor Wessing Photographic Prize in 2008 from the National Portrait Gallery London.His portraits refer to the Dutch masters and the those of the Italian Renaissance

Check out the link for more biographical information and a sampling of more of his remarkable work.
Byron
."

3 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing the link to Jamie's Flicker account - I love looking at her work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi all... and thanks for the promo!:) Also, the Kersten link - I'm not quite sure if it is the model or the light or the clothing that create such a wonderful mood - perhaps all three. Portraits fascinate me... these days with so many photographers (and thus portraits)out there - it can be hard to find an original idea that isn't filled with cliche or the latest trend. I have high school seniors on the brain right now. :) So many are so overdone. Yet you want them to have a little something special. A hard balance to stike - for me at least. Anyway, thanks for the link. I will get on and post one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete