Thursday, June 16, 2011

Internet Courtesy

Posted by PicasaThis photo was taken in our garden several years ago by my son Charles Annis and back in my avid gardening days I used it a lot in various presentations. In my opinion what makes this a great shot the fact that Charlie was exactly in the right place at the right time. See Rule # 1 of Photography: Always have your camera with you! Another interesting aspect of the picture is this. If you look carefully just above the giant garden rat (that would be the deer for the nature lovers among you) you can see a thin white horizontal line. That is my electric deer fence. Really effective, isn't it? All of this is beside the point. Here is the point:  Years ago I submitted this image to a website called Subdivision Wildlife. Yesterday I received this e-mail message--
Byron, 
I am working on a website for an electronic deer repellant. (deershieldtech.com)
Would you allow us to use this image on our site and in some of our promotional material?
Thank you,
Rick

Here is my reply--

> Yes you may, and thank you for the courtesy of asking! I hope that you will give credit to the photographer who is my son Charles Annis. He did a great job getting this capture.

This is the way things should work when decent  people deal with each other in the electronic commons.
Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment