Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Reminders and Langiappe

la·gniappe

[lan-yap, lan-yap] Show IPA
–noun
1. Chiefly Southern Louisiana and Southeast Texas . a small gift given by way of compliment or for good measure; a bonus.
2. a gratuity or tip.
3. an unexpected or indirect benefit.
I used to think that the word lagniappe was an affectation and something that was too precious by half when used by anyone not native to Cajun Louisiana, yet I couldn't think of anything more appropriate to describe this lovely image.

Jim Taylor uses this image for a greeting card. It is so nearly perfect that I am considering having it framed. Kudos Jim.

While we are talking about Jim Taylor, you might be impressed to know that he has already submitted his final result for the September Digital Challenge. Roger indicated that one of his candidates is a "nightmare" and I believe that it is the one that Jim restored to a fare-the-well! More kudos, Jim.

This is a reminder that the next WWIG meeting will be 3 weeks from today. You might want to be getting your submission for the Topic of the Month ready. Remember you have a choice between  something that his highly personal and/or deeply felt; as an alternative, if this is uncomfortable, an example of food photography.

I've starting to think about our October meeting and, if I don't change my mind, it will be quite a bit different than usual. During September I will be travelling to Israel, Paris, and Madrid (one trip) and also resuming my Seeing America One Back Road At a Time adventures-- I am driving to Croton-On-Hudson, NY for a workshop with Rick Sammon. I don't want to cancel the October meeting, but it won't be possible to devote a lot of time to preparation. What I've come up with should work for most, if not all, members. Further discussion to follow.
Byron

2 comments:

  1. Byron,
    I have not received an email with the images attached for our restoration challenge. Would you send it to me again? I've had some problems with my email, but it seems to be working again. Thanks.
    Cheryl - ckeeffe@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheryl-- I'll resend it, and let me know if you don't get the images so that we can devise some sort of alternative if necessary.
    Byron

    ReplyDelete