Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Elements 9 and Epson Scanner

I had an interesting (?) and time consuming experience yesterday with one lesson perhaps of general interest. In my film photography workflow, I make great use of my Epson V700 scanner to scan negatives for record keeping, addition to my website (www.jtermanphoto.com), and to create notecards for sale as well as many other applications. I have just acquired and installed Photoshop Elements 9. I have used sequential versions of Elements as my main photo manipulation program and always import the scanner output to Elements. This uses the TWAIN driver software, although one can also use a WIA program similar to camera output. However, only the TWAIN method delivers the pro level dialog box where resolution, size, and many other important controls are located. The WIA is a very simple and inadequate interface. After many twists and turns I learned that Elements 9 does not support TWAIN driver programs in its issued form. Fortunately, I found my way to Adobe support, and learned that there is a plug-in to fix this problem. After I described my problem to the Adobe tech lady in central Philippines, who had to break off twice to study it, she did come back and coach me through a patch for the Elements program buried in the depths of the C: drive. This fix is posted in their on –line tech support, but I would have never been able to do it alone. Also note that the fix is different for 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows as I have. The reason for this gap in Elements 9 escapes me; perhaps others can comment”


Jim the filmguy

No comments:

Post a Comment