Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Topic of the Month for February Meeting

From Geocaching.com. Photo not credited.

The Topic of the Month for the February meeting is the gazebo at Pettibone Park. I find myself wondering why this undeniably attactive-- and very popular-- architectural artifact was selected and I am tempted to complain about the choice except that if I do, I'd just be talking to myself. Actually, I think that this is a good choice in that it presents a very distinct and not uncommonly encountered challenge for photographers: how does one make an interesting image of something that has been the subject a gazillian photographs and is, for all intents and purposes, a dreadfully overdone cliche. What is being asked is whether some creativity can be applied to photographing the gazebo, to bring some new insight into making a visual representation of what is an all to familiar but nonetheless compelling subject.

I visited Pettibone Park last evening at sunset, thinking that the gazebo would be particularly photogenic with all of the fresh snow cover and warm light. There was moderately good light on the river and the buildings on the La Crosse side but the gazebo was densely shaded. Wanting to be a virtuous member of the WWIG who will go to any length to "get the shot", I got up at 5:30 this morning so that I would have plenty of time to get to Pettibone well before sunrise. When I opened the front door to let the dog out and was smacked by a blast of subzero air-- 13.2 degrees below zero, in fact-- I realized that my dedication to the Topic of the Month has distinct limitations. Well... another time perhaps.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what members of our group do with this difficult challenge.
Byron

No comments:

Post a Comment